1). Cut a piece of paper and draw a rectangle that has your waist measurement example 27 inches x the height of the elastic you wish to use example 2” x 2 so your rectangle measurement should
Be 27” long by 4” wide
2) Elastic cut measurement. Measure your waist measurement for example 27” reduce elastic measurement by 5” so elastic fits you slightly tight around your waist total elastic cut measurement should be 22”
3) Decide how long you want your skirt to be for example if you are 5’ 5” tall you might want your skirt to be 45 inches long add 2 extra inches to skirt length to finish off the hem.
4) Let’s make the front skirt panel. Draw a rectangle shape that is 47 inches long by 25 inches wide.
5) Now let’s make the back skirt panel. Draw a rectangle shape that is 47 inches long by 35 inches wide.
6) Make sure that both skirt panels have enough fabric ease around your hips to give to this skirt the flowing effect you wish to accomplish. Also, please note that this pattern has no seam allowance so you have to add a ½” seam allowance to your skirt pattern pieces before cutting and sewing.
About the Author
Alejandro Esparza: Co-Founder @ smart pattern making.com /Professional Pattern Maker/ Technical Designer/ Startup Advisor and acknowledged in the garment industry as authority in pattern making and pattern design process. He has the ability to work with small entrepreneurial companies’ private label customers and large organizations. Alejandro is a graduate of Los Angeles Trade Technical College Fashion Design Program. He has over 25 years of apparel garment industry experience and is part of Expert Ezine Articles Authors community since December 25, 2008 and has published multiple articles about the garment industry.
Ready to start creating your designs with us? Click the get started link below.